If you plan on taking your dog or cat on a trip, here are some important tips to remember:
- NEVER leave your pet in a hot car. Pets cannot control their body temperature as effectively as humans. Just a few minutes in a hot car could cause irreversible damage or death.
- Bring food and water from home. Feeding your pet something other than his or her normal food can cause digestive problems. Bring your pet’s regular dishes, or pick up a convenient travel dish available at Stockdale’s.
- Call ahead. Many places, including campgrounds, do not allow pets. Make sure it is OK to bring your pet before you leave.
- Pack a lead and tie-out. To ensure that your pet won’t dart out into traffic, attach the lead before you open the car door.
- Pack a first aid kit for your pet, just in case.
- Be sure your pet is wearing an up-to-date nametag.
- Pack your pet’s favorite toys. This will make them feel more at home.
- Cover the seats. Pet hair is difficult to clean up. Car-seat covers or an old sheet will allow your vehicle to stay clean.
- Allow your pet to travel on an empty stomach. Your pet is more likely to get carsick if he has food in his stomach. If the trip is long, feed a smaller amount than normal at least two hours before leaving.
- Stop often on long trips to allow pets to relieve themselves.
- After stops, clean up after your pet out of consideration for others.
- Exercise your pet before you leave.
- Restrain your pet during travel in either a harness, pet seat, barrier, plastic, or wire crate.
For all your pet supplies stop by your local Stockdale’s!