While controlling the mosquito population on your property can be tough, there are ways that you can discourage them from hanging out in your backyard all summer. This includes controlling the water on your property.
The perfect mosquito habitat begins and ends with one simple element: water. While it might sound simple to handle, we sometimes forget that standing water can accumulate in a variety of areas on our property. Below is a list of helpful tips to manage your standing water and cut down on the mosquito population:
• Drill holes in the bottom of outdoor garbage or recycling containers. This allows for water to drain out of the containers rather than accumulate in the bottom where mosquitos might breed.
• Clean and unclog your gutters regularly. Check to ensure that your downspouts are properly draining and no puddles are left in the drainage area. Adding extensions can also help carry water away from the home.
• Cleaning and chlorinating swimming pools regularly – especially when not in use – can also keep bugs away.
• Survey your property after a rain and check for areas with poor drainage. Regrading the area can solve drainage issues as needed.
• Aerating ornamental ponds and stocking them with fish can keep mosquitos at bay as they feed on eggs and larvae.
• Draining birdbaths, wading pools, pet bowls or flower pots can also remove other sources of standing water around the home
• Growing plants such as citronella, rosemary and marigolds can deter mosquitos from the home
• Maintaining a properly mowed lawn can also keep unwanted pests away as they are attracted to dead plant matter
• Covering windows and doors with a snug mesh screen can also keep bugs out of the home
• Using a DEET-based repellent per label directions will also keep mosquitos away from your person
Following these simple suggestions should lead to an improvement in mosquito traffic in your area!
In addition to these helpful tips, consider treating your yard with Permethrin, which kills and repels both mosquitoes and ticks, or Malathion, a similar product. Stockdale’s carries both of these products in the form of Bonide’s Malathion (#144571) and 8 Vegetable, Fruit and Flower Concentrate (#144570).
Bonide also offers Mosquito Beater Plunks (#19006), a water soluble larvicide made from all-natural ingredients, available at your local Stockdale’s store. Once dissolved, the granules will remain in the standing and release a larvicide that can handle the toughest of mosquito infestations. The product will begin to control mosquito larvae within 24 hours. This product is safe for use in areas where fish and other aquatic organisms are kept, so you can even use it in your koi ponds!
Follow these steps, and your backyard summer activities will include a lot more fun and a lot less itch! For more info about mosquito-related products, stop by and visit with the professionals at your local Stockdale’s store.