When selecting lawn or pasture seed there is a lot of information on the seed tag. What do the terms actually mean?
- Pure Seed: The percentage of the crop seed in weight.
- Inert Matter: The percentage in weight of sand, sticks, broken seed parts, or other items present that are not pure seed.
- Other Crop Seed: The percentage of other crops included in the seed bag. For example, if the lot in question is crimson clover, the other seed may be vetch or wheat.
- Weed Seed: The percentage in weight of weed seed. Some of the seed may be noxious according to the state seed law; most states require that the percentage of weed seed be below a set number. Tennessee’s limit is 2.5 percent.
- Name and number of noxious weed seed per pound: Each state has regulations that list the total number of noxious weed seed that are allowed in a pound of seed. Each state has a different list.
Got questions? Stop by your local Stockdale’s lawn and garden stores for more information!